Lighting Fixtures

Half Mag / Half Zine

A man has been arrested on suspicion of supplying a firearm after the fatal shooting of Sergeant Matt Ratana in Croydon.

Sgt Ratana, 54, was shot by a handcuffed suspect in the early hours of Friday at a custody suite in Croydon.

A man was arrested at around 2am on Sunday in Norwich, Norfolk. He is in custody at a south London police station.

The suspect in Sgt Ratana’s killing remains in hospital in a critical condition. The 23-year-old, who also shot himself, has not been spoken to by officers because of his condition.

Sgt Ratana, 54, was originally from New Zealand and joined the Met in 1991 . He leaves behind a partner and a grown-up son.

Croydon Custody Centre shooting – In pictures
It came as friends and teammates of the keen rugby coach gathered in tribute to him on Sunday, with silences at East Grinstead Rugby Club and at the National Police Memorial in central London where a wreath-laying ceremony took place.

Speaking after the morning wreath-laying, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said Sgt Ratana’s death brings home the challenges of police work.

She said: “If some good can come out of this terrible incident in which we have had one of our officers murdered it would be that more people can understand a little bit about the challenges of police work and to see us police as who we are – human beings, going to work to help people, to support people and to protect people.

“Matt was the epitome of that.”

Describing him as an “extraordinary person”, she added: “He had a wonderful personality and he was very good at his job.”

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which attended the scene after the shooting, said the suspect had been taken into the building and sat in a holding area in the custody suite, then opened fire while still in handcuffs as officers prepared to search him with a metal detector.

He had earlier been arrested by regular officers following a stop and search, then handcuffed behind his back before being taken to the station in a police vehicle.

Tributes have been paid to the 54-year-old (MPS Hackney)
No police firearms were fired in the incident, and the case is not being treated as terror-related.

Sgt Ratana is the eighth police officer in the UK to be shot dead in the last 20 years and the first to be murdered by a firearm in the line of duty since Pcs Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, in September 2012.

The Met sergeant is the 17th from the force to be killed by a firearm since the end of the Second World War, according to the National Police Memorial roll of honour.